One of the biggest perks of maternity leave has been the newfound sense of time on my hands. No longer are my days filled with teaching, grading and behavior management! As I eagerly await the arrival of Baby A, I am enjoying the slow mornings, looser agenda and freedom to delve into activities I enjoy, like catching up with friends and baking.
Last week, I visited a friend for the morning and when I walked through her door the house smelled ah-mazzzzing! Familiar comfort and sweet nostalgia came drifting from the kitchen—the homely yet alluring scent of freshly baked banana bread.
She served me up a thick slice, steaming hot and slathered with melted butter. The first bite took me back to my childhood days, sitting at the kitchen table after school filling my belly with mom’s homemade banana bread. I knew in that moment I needed to recreate this recipe asap!
So therein began my mission for creating a healthy banana bread recipe. If I can brag for a quick moment, I think I passed my mission with flying colors. My recipe contains no butter, no oil and no refined sugar. It is dairy free and can easily be made gluten-free and vegan. The texture is moist and dense, both satisfying and moreish. The guilt-free factor weighs heavily here as you can rest assured it is good for you!
Healthy Banana Bread
yields: 1 loaf
baking time: 20 minutes
preheat oven to: 180°C / 350°F
2 heaping tablespoons honey
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)
2 large bananas, mashed
2 egg whites*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup raw almonds
1 cup oats*
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Whisk honey, milk and applesauce in a large mixing bowl.
- Chop and mash bananas in a small bowl then stir into mixture.
- Add egg whites and vanilla extract, stir to combine.
- In a food processor, process almonds and oats until fine like flour texture, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Stir cinnamon and baking powder into almond-oat mixture.
- Pour dry ingredients into large bowl of wet ingredients and stir until just combined. You do not want to over mix the batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased or lined bread load pan.
- Bake at 180°C / 350°F for 20 minutes. You can check if done by inserting a skewer or toothpick into center and it comes out clean.
- Let stand on cooling rack for 10 minutes before serving.
To up the wow-factor, top with vegan caramel sauce found here.
Can substitute flax eggs for the egg whites to make vegan.
Use gluten-free oats to make the recipe gluten-free.
Adapted from The Smoothie Lovers Healthy Banana Bread
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Please tag me on Instagram at @mariposa_moment if you make it. I’d love to see your creations!
Lots of love,